Peer support groups can be a valuable part of the healing process for many victims/survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence. Participants can find strength, support, and validation by connecting with one another in a safe and confidential environment. Groups promote self-empowerment, reduce isolation, and provide a space to build on existing strengths.
- Understanding the impact of trauma
- Reducing stigma and shame
- Gaining coping skills
Support groups meet for an hour and a half once a week for eight weeks and are facilitated by trauma-informed, confidential advocates. All groups are free of charge.
How do I join a group?
Print and fill out the HAVEN Support Group Interest Form and mail it to:
20 International Drive Suite 300
Portsmouth, NH 03801
- Call the HAVEN hotline at 603-994-7233 and ask for an interest form to be mailed to you. (Interest forms may also be picked up/dropped off at our Portsmouth and Rochester offices.)
- An advocate will call to confirm that we have received your interest form and answer any questions you may have.
- A group facilitator will reach out to you to set up a pre-group meeting to talk about what being in a support group is like and to help you determine if this will be beneficial for you at this time.
HAVEN and SATYA (Seacoast Area Teachers of Yoga in Action) have collaborated to offer a unique yoga practice for survivors of domestic and sexual violence. Empower Yoga provides the opportunity to practice taking control over your body by making choices about what you feel comfortable doing and not doing in a safe, supportive and non-judgmental environment without utilizing hands-on physical assists. Discover your inner strength, build confidence and learn coping skills to calm and get present when you need it most. This practice is adaptable to all age groups and levels of physical abilities.
The classes are taught by SATYA instructors Rochelle Jewell, E-RYT (Kripalu Certified Yoga Teacher) and Sarah Sherman, RYT. Both instructors are trained in Trauma Informed Yoga techniques. HAVEN Advocates are present at each class and are available to provide additional support throughout the program.
Our next session for women ages 13 and up runs from September 18th until November 16th. New attendees are welcome to join at any time and may attend sessions at both of our locations.
Mondays, 6:00-7:30 pm
Thursdays, 6:00 – 7:30 pm
This is an adult peer support group with a focus on empowerment and healing for women who have experienced sexual assault and/or abuse as a child, teen, or adult.
We will be scheduling this group for the fall, please submit an interest form and we will be in touch with more information.